Friday 26 April 2013

What I would have done if I needed to do a Porting Campaign



I would zag.

Yea, I’d simply look within my brand and turn the word ‘port’ on its head by creating a ‘stay’ campaign. Since porting allows subscribers to switch networks and still retain their numbers, I’d look at a strategy to retain my subscribers. I’d say we are not a number but a community of ‘something’ based on what is inherent in the brand. I'd find that something in the brand. Every brand has that something. My bull’s eye would be the restless young people who are never patient with network instabilities.

To start off my campaign, I’d create ‘friends 4 life’ parties for subscribers. These parties would be taken to grassroots and the places where my subscribers live.  I’d block off some radio segments just for our influencers subscribers to be on radio to sensitize others who are driving or who are at home about these parties.  These parties would have grand slams at various touch points. For the Youth market, the Corporate users etc.  Key brand members would feature at these parties to take feedbacks from subscribers. I would adopt Obama's 'knocking on the door' campaign for friends to recruit friends to join. 

What would ‘friends 4 life’ be offering? Massive bonus for every call. Free SMS for people within the same parties or zone. Plus more. For 90 days. Yes, you know why. 

Marketing budget would be spent to design customized Tee shirts for all the numbers in my network.  No. Tees won’t carry numbers. It would be done in a walk-in booths around your area. Go in, take a picture with our branded frame. Come out on the other side, Tee is ready with a sketch of your face and a message of your choice that ends with ‘I’m not a number on _____ network’

All these events would generate enough videos for my online engagement.  Tee pix would become my banners featuring as many consumer as we could.

ATL, I’d deploy a simple and straightforward campaign that says ‘ Don’t be treated like a phone number, stay with your own.’ This campaign  would be about people. Real people talking to real people. It would mirror real ‘staying power ‘ of friendships. And it would functionally tell you why ‘you need to stay’. I’d find a powerful story to emotionalize this campaign. But it would be about people and not numbers. It would be about the people behind the phone numbers.

That’s not all. Then I would warn that you do not copy this while I go to have a quick cup of coffee.  LMFAO

PS: The brand lesson here is that brands are about people and not the numbers. Read the book HumanKind by Leo Burnett.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome.... totally awesome. Gladdens my heart and fills me with hope and joy when I see that some people in Nigeria still take their time to SIT and THINK!

    Thanks. This would have saved some people some N20million they had o business paying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice idea and I won't be disappointed if they copy this. I like idea of the T shirt. It makes you belong to the community and not just a customer.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baba ooooo. Nice one boss. More grease to your thumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. its so easy for brands to concentrate on the product offered and not the TA the product is directed towards. Fantastic strategy on intentionally building your brand tribe. The next huddle i see here is convincing the marketing team its worth their every penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. whao!!!, i'm really startled(in a good way) by your thinking process kenny, your point of view is really interesting and unconventional, how did you learn to think like this and how long did it take you.

    ReplyDelete

Share your own experience