Tuesday 24 April 2012

Red lipstick, Sex and Power. Be the Rebel in the House

I've been very curious lately as to why the power of red lipstick never dies. From Cleopatra to Queen Elizabeth 1 to Marilyn Monroe and to modern images of power women around us, the red lipstick lives on. Most women have one in their purse. This power tool has fascinated both men and women since 3,000 BC. It's a call to the inner goddess and the obsession is unfathomable.


There had been oppositions to red lipstick in the early days as the religious folks thought it resembled a flushed and aroused labia. Some even went on to say it was the devil's symbol. But this red thing lives on. Long before the emancipation of womenfolks came to the fore, the red lipstick had been a silent tool in this journey. It even became more popular when Elizabeth Arden and Estee Lauder started dispensing lipsticks from their own saloon in the 1930's. They tried to tone it down by introducing women to different shades of it. However, the bold red shade is still the most popular today.

Red is one of the strongest retail colour in Branding and it calls so much attention to itself. Red is a look-at-me, I'm-here colour that never goes unnoticed. Coca-Cola won't trade its red for anything in the world and great brands like HSBC and Virgin know the energy they are tapping into when they stay with red. It's sensual. It's rebellious and it is a power tool. For me, what I find fascinating about red lipstick is the sheer simplicity that never goes unnoticed. Sounds ironic. Simple, yet very much in your face. You overdo it, it backfires. You don't do it, you have a bland look.

That's what I call being profound. Your Personal brand can be too simple and not get the attention it deserves. You need to introduce a power tool. Some mystique. Some silent rebellion message that says ' hey, this is what I stand for, guys!'

If you are going for a Powerful persona, find a power tool that can prop you. They are usually the simplest things around you. They come in small shapes and sizes like the red lipstick.

3 comments:

  1. You article is very profound and spot on.You beat me to it been saying i'll write an article on red lipstick well since your have set the ball rolling i guess my task is to take it a notch up red lipsticks differ from one brand to another and you'll be surprised the insights i'll bring out.Well done sire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never used to like Red until I wore a red tie for the first time.I remember the looks I got as I stepped into a gathering that day.Red is beautiful;kind of symbolizes life(blood).
    Little wonder I get a rush when I watching Supersport Channel and I see the presenter and analysts in red ties.It justs excites the reward centre of my brain.
    Little things do help to develop a powerful persona.I remember my mum coming home one day and commenting as she walked into the living room that I was around.When asked how she knew before she even saw me,she explained that the tidyness of the living room infered my presence.So little for so powerful a persona like that red lipstick.

    AEO
    @AnthonyEkene

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember telling a friend, that all I ever want to see her wear on her lips is a red lipstick, if she's ever going to get my attention.
    Interesting read. Thank you.

    Tola Babs

    ReplyDelete

Share your own experience